Personal Injuries

*Personal Injuries Claims

*Personal injuries, whether soft tissue damage, broken bone or something with lasting effects, can change your life sometimes with everlasting effects.  When you bring your *personal injuries claim to Fox & Co Solicitors you will be treated with care and compassion and the utmost will be done to get your life back on track.  We can provide you with the help and advice for an enormously wide range of *personal injuries circumstances.

We are experienced in dealing with personal injury claims of modest value to catastrophic injuries and fatal accident cases.  We will focus not only on obtaining fair compensation for the pain and suffering you experience from your accident but also on obtaining payment for all the care and facilities you are entitled to in order to live your life as closely as possible to that experienced before the accident or incident that caused the personal injuries. Special damages in *personal injuries claims can cover expenses from medical costs and travel expenses to loss of earnings to date and into the future.

You can rely on Fox & Co Solicitors to fight fearlessly to reach an outcome that can make a real difference to your life.  We will use all our experience and expertise to give you the representation you need to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.  Your privacy is always guaranteed with Fox & Co Solicitors.  We will treat all information with the strictest of confidence and professionalism.

Q: How do I know if I have a claim for *Personal Injuries?

A: If you had an accident, which was not your fault, and you suffered injury as a result of the accident you could have a claim for compensation. 

Q: What type of accidents are covered?

A: The cause of the injury could be a road traffic accident, an accident at work, an accident such as a trip, slip or fall in a public place, dog bites or accidents abroad.  Other types of accidents could be injuries sustained from defective products and bullying in the workplace.  Injuries caused by medical malpractice, discussed separately, can also lead to a *personal injuries claim for compensation.

Q: What types of injuries can I claim?

A: All types of injuries and illnesses are considered.  Physical injury – breaks and fractures of the bones; soft tissue damage – bruised muscles and torn ligaments and tendons; neurological damage paraesthesia/numbness and previously asymptomatic arthritis; cuts, bruises and scars.  In addition, psychiatric or psychological injuries, if caused by the accident, can form part of a claim for *personal injuries.

Q: How am I compensated for my injuries?

A: An award of general damages is an attempt to compensate you for the pain and suffering experienced as a result of your accident.  The Injuries Board uses the book of quantum to assess this compensation in relation to a wide variety of injuries.  However, if your case is not settled at the Injuries Board stage there are no formal guidelines upon which to base the compensation you will receive although the law requires the courts to have regard to the book of quantum. 

Q. If my injuries are on-going is it possible to settle a claim?

A. General damages tend to be divided into two figures one which represents compensation for your pain and suffering caused by the accident to the date of settlement of your case and the second figure represents compensation for any pain and suffering you might suffer into the future.

Q: Can I claim back the money spent on expenses as a result of my accident?

A: Yes. You will be repaid the money you spent on expenses as a result of your accident such as outlays incurred on medical, pharmacy, physiotherapy and travel.  These expenses are classified as special damages and are referred to as out-of-pocket expenses.  Any loss of earnings will also be paid under special damages.  All items claimed under special damages must, by law, be vouched for with proof of loss or expenses.

Q: If I have expenses and loss of earnings after the hearing or settlement of my case do I get compensated for those?

A: Yes. Special damages will be worked out on the basis of the expenses and loss you have incurred up to the date of the settlement or hearing of your case and will also include future loss of earning and expenses. 

Q: Where do I go next?

A: Generally speaking, all *personal injuries claims, with the exception of those caused by medical negligence and a small number of other specific claims, must go before the Injuries Board. 

Q: Do I need to have a solicitor represent me for the application to the Injuries Board? 

A: No.  You do not but it is wise to engage a solicitor.  There are a number of pitfalls in the process before the Injuries Board which if they are overlooked could prevent you pursuing your case.

Q: How long do I have to bring a claim for *personal injuries?

A: Your *personal injuries claim must be brought before the expiration of two years from the date of your accident or the date on which you became aware of your injuries.  After that date you will be statute barred by law from taking a claim.

Q: Do I have to accept the Injuries Board offer of compensation?

A: No. You are not under an obligation to accept the Injuries Board assessment and neither is the Defendant bound by the assessment.

Q: What happens if I do not accept the offer from the Injuries Board?

A: The Injuries Board will issue an authorisation for you to proceed to court in order to progress your claim.

Q: Does that mean I will have to go to court?

A: No.  That does not mean you will have to go to court.  The majority of claims are settled long before going to hearing.   That usually means you would attend settlement talks with your solicitor and barrister where negotiations would take place with the other side.  These talks can take place at any time during the proceedings.  At the talks any decision to accept or reject the compensation offer would be yours.  If you accept it means your case would be settled.  If you reject the offer the case would proceed to the next stage of the proceedings.

Q: Will the amount of my award be made public?

A: If your case is settled in court, then like all cases that go before the court, the amount of your award will be in the public domain.  However, if you reach an agreement on the amount of compensation at settlement talks it remains private and confidential.

Road Traffic Accidents

Slip, Trip & Fall Accidents

Public Place Accidents

Animal Bites

Workplace Accidents & Injuries

Bullying & Harassment Claims

Accidents Abroad & Aircraft Injuries

Looking to make a personal injury claim?

Make a start, get in touch with Fox & Co Solicitors today.